tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Why Shoot a Butler?
Georgette Heyer
Whispers Under Ground
Ben Aaronovitch, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith
Progress: 422/615minutes
Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Progress: 18%
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Gulp by Mary Roach

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal - Mary Roach

Although not quite entirely devoid of interesting content, it was pretty close. Instead of fact-based discussion about our digestive system with some humour sprinkled along the way, we're treated to 19th century experiments that the author admits did not contribute anything to the advancement of scientific knowledge of the day. She wastes space with her musings on a painting of one of the "scientists" and his subject that was painted almost a century after their deaths as if it could give her a hint of their relationship.

Many scientists were interviewed for this book, but almost as much time was spent on describing what they wore and their physical features than on their work. There was some time spent on more recent research and some facts were explored, but it was a case of too little, too late.

Really, this read like a series of magazine articles to be used as filler to fulfill some quasi-science quota in some lifestyle publication. Don't go looking for accessible explanations of the science because most of the text is spent on speculation, fashion comments, and 19th century experiments.

I read this for The Flat Book Society. I hope the next book is more interesting!

Not that that'll be hard.

Previous updates: