tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Rule of Luck
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Hogfather
Terry Pratchett, Nigel Planer
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Manifold: Time
Stephen Baxter, Chris Schluep
Progress: 99/480pages
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

When Bunnies Go Bad by Clea Simon (audiobook)

When Bunnies Go Bad: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir - Clea Simon, Tavia Gilbert

Series: Pru Marlowe #6

I'll admit that I basically read/listened to this because of the talking to pets concept, and the talking to pets went fairly well. This was interesting in audio format and I'm not sure how it would have played out in print.

Pru Marlowe is kind of an animal behaviourist that works with training pets, walking dogs, etc. She's so good at her job because she can actually talk to her charges. Or at least she can pick up what they're thinking and interpret that as speech and communicate with the animals in turn. She stumbles across a body in her small town and things take off from there.

It was a silly mystery (talking to pets) but I enjoyed it, and I may even seek out the rest of the series at some point. I came into the middle of the series but this series seems to work reasonably well when read out of order. I didn't feel lost or bored by rehashing past relationships and events at all.

Pru has a cat called Wallace, and the narrator managed to nail the innate aloofness you'd expect in a cat. All of the dog voices were cartoonish, I'd say, but amusing.