tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Weaver's Lament: Industrial Magic Book 2 (Kindle Single)
Emma Newman
The Mirror Empire: Worldbreaker Saga 1
Kameron Hurley
Leviathan Wakes
James S.A. Corey, Jefferson Mays
Life: An Unauthorised Biography: A Natural History of the First Four Thousand Million Years of Life on Earth
Richard Fortey
Progress: 274/371pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Martyr by Rory Clements

Martyr - Rory Clements

I'm glad to be finally finished. That book felt like it took forever to read. If it hadn't been a More Historical Than Fiction read I probably would have dropped it. Maybe I should have dropped it. Oh well.

It's not that it's a bad book or anything; I just couldn't get into it. I'm not sure why I struggled so much with it, but the dialogue seemed stilted and I was kind of bored by it. I know I wasn't supposed to be bored but I just couldn't seem to care about any of it. I also had trouble picturing the climax scene with Herrick. It just didn't make sense, physically, to me.

Shakespeare blocks Herrick's blow with his left arm, then brings his right arm around and strikes him on the back of the head with the hilt of his sword. They're of a height, so to accomplish this would require him swing his sword around in such a way as I find terribly inefficient. I just can't get it to work out in my head.

(show spoiler)

I feel that based on the subject matter, this should have been a nail-biting, riveting read, and it wasn't.

Previous updates: