tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Mirror Empire: Worldbreaker Saga 1
Kameron Hurley
Leviathan Wakes
James S.A. Corey, Jefferson Mays
Life: An Unauthorised Biography: A Natural History of the First Four Thousand Million Years of Life on Earth
Richard Fortey
Progress: 274/371pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 68/501pages

Mendoza in Hollywood by Kage Barker

Mendoza in Hollywood: A Company Novel (The Company) - Kage Baker

Series: The Company #3

This installment of the Company time travel series finally reveals who Mendoza is telling her story to. I’d forgotten about this aspect of the first book because the glimpses of it are so quick, but I’m pretty sure they were there. This mostly takes place in Los Angeles, California, in 1862 where Mendoza is tasked with saving botanical specimens from their upcoming extinction due to the upcoming droughts and subsequent over-grazing. Anyway, there were some interesting Civil War aspects to the plot with the Company operatives uncovering a British conspiracy to gain control of California.

There was one really long chapter that covered one of the operatives’ movie nights in excruciating detail that I feel could have been mostly cut, but I’m left with more of a desire to continue the series now that I had at the start of the book.

I read this for booklikes-opoly square Cars Land 16 “Read a book set in…California”. Various sources put the paperback page count at 352 so I’m adding another $9 to my bank balance since this the second time I’ve landed on this square since the shake-up.

New Bank Balance: $229