tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax #1)
Dorothy Gilman, Barbara Rosenblat
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 68/501pages

Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

Dearly, Departed - Lia Habel

Series: Gone with the Respiration #1

I wasn’t expecting much from this book, and although there were a few interesting bits, it mostly didn’t deliver much of anything other than a fine squick factor. I think I didn’t remember what the description actually said when I decided to read it. I considered abandoning it at the halfway mark, but I’ve been abandoning so many books lately because of the bingo, and I had some mild interest to see whether it was going anywhere. It really tries to justify its injection of Victoriana into the future. It mostly doesn’t succeed, but it really does try. The viewpoint jumps around a lot, which wouldn’t be such a problem if all of the chapters weren’t written in the first person. It also serves to diffuse the suspense, so I’m left wondering why some editor didn’t suggest restructuring it. But it’s definitely YA so maybe it just wasn’t deemed important. At least everyone wasn’t paired off at the end, but it’s a series so you never know what the future will bring.

I’m calling it YA horror because of the zombies even though there’s a romance aspect. I’m actually considering the romance aspect to be part of the horror because of the ick factor. I honestly don’t think zombies can make the same transition undergone by vampires and other undead, but I’ve never been a fan of zombie books and movies, so what do I know?