tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Lion in the Living Room: How House Cats Tamed Us and Took Over the World
Abigail Tucker
Progress: 81/187pages
The Mirror Empire
Kameron Hurley
Leviathan Wakes
James S.A. Corey, Jefferson Mays
Progress: 30%
Life: An Unauthorised Biography: A Natural History of the First Four Thousand Million Years of Life on Earth
Richard Fortey
Progress: 333/371pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Halloween Bingo...hmm...

I was originally planning on participating a bit, but based on my list below, I think the only way I can possibly get a bingo is if I can read Dawn by Octavia Butler, count that as “Scary Women (Authors)” (or maybe use Frankenstein?) and find a black cat book that I want to read…so far no luck.

The problem is that there isn’t that much on my to-read list that fits and I’m not willing to read stuff that I don’t really want to read just to fill in squares. I mean, most of what I would want to read that might fit would be science fiction with horror elements (creepy sci fi?? I don't have a shelf for that) or more supernatural than magic fantasy or maybe a mystery. That's not to say that some other squares won't crop up, but I can't predict what they'll be. Keeping things "spooky" is very limiting.

Unless you let me read something like Starfish by Peter Watts, which really isn't horror at all but one of my friends found the short story based on its first chapter deeply disturbing. His Blindsight is pretty creepy.

1. Read by candlelight or flashlight: a mystery on my ereader ??
  2. Magical Realism: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
  3. Witches: Maskerade by Terry Pratchett
  4. Genre: Horror: maybe NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
  5. Black Cat: ...?
  6. Diverse authors can be spooky fun!: ...?
  7. Ghost Stories and Haunted House: ...?
  8. YA Horror: not happening
  9. Scary Women (Authors): ...Dawn? ...Frankenstein?
  10. Reads with (booklikes) friends: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  11. Grave or Graveyard: ...?
  12. Genre: Mystery: ...a mystery?
  13. Free Space
  14. Gothic: maybe Dracula by Bram Stoker
  15. Creepy Crawlies: ...?
  16. "Fall" into a good book: ...?
  17. Locked room mystery: Le mystère de la chambre jaune (The Mystery of the Yellow Room) by Gaston Leroux
  18. It was a dark and stormy night: ...?
  19. Set in New England: ...?
  20. Full Moon: ...?
  21. Vampires vs. Werewolves: Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop
  22. Supernatural: ...?
  23. Classic Horror: maybe Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  24. Pumpkin: ...?
  25. Set on Halloween: ...?

ETA: Added NOS4A2, so that would be a second bingo option, but I'd still need a black cat. I didn't really want to read it so I was thinking of skipping that book club meeting, but it does fit the theme, so maybe.