tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Whose Body?
Dorothy L. Sayers, David Case
Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Progress: 18%
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville

Grave Witch by Kalayna Price

— feeling skull
Grave Witch - Kalayna Price

Series: Alex Craft #1

I don’t remember what brought this book to my attention.  It was probably something to do with one of the later books in the series. I know better than to expect too much from a book marketed as urban fantasy, but the library had a copy, so I figured it was worth a shot. I’d call this more of a modern day fantasy world rather than an urban fantasy, however, because we’re most definitely not in our world.  Magic users and fae went public about seventy years ago and it’s a modern-day mishmash of magical charms, cars, and cell phones.

I almost quit because it took a good hundred pages to get interesting. Several of the tropes bordered on cliché territory (the absolutely broke investigator, the girlfriends who would throw the MC at any man who showed interest [and who don’t apologize when said man tries to harm her], the sort of triangle, the hostile police, etc). And at several points the characters basically acted in the way most convenient for the plot without a lot of conviction.

But…the world felt like it was a more original take on the genre with how the MC’s magical powers, the ghosts, and the fae stuff were presented, so it gets an extra half star.  I’m undecided as to whether to give the next one a shot.