tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Grace Year
Kim Liggett
The New Voices of Science Fiction
Jamie Wahls, Sarah Pinkser, Vina Jie-Min Prasad, Rebecca Roanhorse, S. Qiouyi Lu, Darcie Little Badger, Kelly Robson, Nino Cipri, Amal El-Mohtar, Sam J. Miller, E. Lily Yu, Alice Sola Kim, Suzanne Palmer, Alexander Weinstein, Rich Larson
Progress: 13%
Progress: 22%
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Manifold: Time
Stephen Baxter, Chris Schluep
Progress: 99/480pages
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages
SPOILER ALERT!

Jade City by Fonda Lee (audiobook)

Jade City (The Green Bone Saga #1) - Fonda Lee, Andrew Kishino

Series: The Green Bone Saga #1

I didn't really know what to expect with this one. I forget how it got on my list in the first place, but it must have made enough waves for me to notice it when it came out. I was originally planning to read the ebook, which I bought, but then the library had the audiobook available, so I took that route instead. The audio was nice because that way I wasn't guessing about the pronunciation of the names, although I had to go back to my ecopy to check on spellings a few times.

Basically it's an alternate modern world (i.e. with different country names) where bioenergetic jade confers superpowers (basically heightened senses and abilities) on people. But most people are too sensitive to be actually be able to use jade, so only certain people from Kekon (a small Asian island nation) end up really using (although there are mentions of special ops teams in foreign countries). The people who use jade, the green bones, ended up organizing themselves into clans that are a mix of gangs and the mafia and that have political influence although they're not supposed to control politicians directly.

Jade City is the story of what happens when two of these clans go to war, and it's a mix of family drama and gang warfare, basically, with nice little touches like the fact that the old Pillar (head of the clan) never actually liked his second grandson and puts him down all the time. It goes so far that the old Pillar's right hand man is even willing to let the second grandson be killed by a rival clan in order to keep the peace because he feels that this is what his old boss would have wanted. That kind of family drama.

Anyway, I feel it's a pretty solid start to a new fantasy series, and I'll be looking for the next book when it comes out this summer.