tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

In the Bleak Midwinter: A Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alsyne Novel
Progress: 22%
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Manifold: Time
Stephen Baxter, Chris Schluep
Progress: 99/480pages
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Reading progress update: I've read 70 out of 294 pages.

Furry Logic: The Physics of Animal Life - Liz Kalaugher, Matin Durrani

So far I haven't seen any improvements in the level of "chattiness" and the way the discussion is organized, the efforts to make me interested in the subject matter bore me or almost make me miss the whole point of their discussion. For example, in the fire beetle section, among a lot of fluff, the discussion moves from a baseball game where the beetles are attacking people to how they're the enemies of trees to an oil fire in the 1920s to discussion of their infrared sensing abilities only to conclude that they were actually attracted to all the cigarettes and not that there was a nearby fire at the time that they were attacking people in the first subsection.

Some of this stuff could be interesting but I feel like you could distill each chapter subsection to a few paragraphs rather than pages and pages and that I'm spending my time wading through a lot of dross. Like, I'd be better off reading a Wikipedia entry on some of these animals if they existed. None of their pop culture references or jokes seem to hit the mark with me either. I'm not sure if I'm going to find anything interesting in the remaining chapters and I expect all their conclusions will be drawn out almost to the level of soap opera.

Since one of the authors is a man, if I finish this book, can I count it toward my current square #13 for the Snakes & Ladders game?