tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

In the Bleak Midwinter: A Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alsyne Novel
Progress: 22%
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Manifold: Time
Stephen Baxter, Chris Schluep
Progress: 99/480pages
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Graphene by Les Johnson & Joseph E. Meany

Graphene: The Superstrong, Superthin, and Superversatile Material That Will Revolutionize the World  - Joseph E. Meany, Les  Johnson

I wavered on what to rate this because although parts of the book were really interesting, other parts were organized in such a way as to seem repetitive and some of the digressions into market forces, including how supply and demand could lead to fracking becoming profitable again, were not. Everything concerning the physics and underlying chemistry of graphene could be put into the "interesting" bin, but the repeated speculation on futuristic technologies, especially in the chapter describing all of the graphene-laced products that someone in the future might encounter, not so much. The speculation in and of itself wasn't necessarily uninteresting, but the way it was presented contributed to the feeling of repetitiveness.

All in all, I'd say it's a worthwhile read, but I'd be inclined to skim over sections. Part of my distaste for some sections may have been due to being forced to cover about 75 pages today in order to return the book to the library.

Unfortunately this book was published in 2018 and not 2019, so I only get to roll one die for the Snakes & Ladders game.

Previous updates: