tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Grace Year
Kim Liggett
The New Voices of Science Fiction
Jamie Wahls, Sarah Pinkser, Vina Jie-Min Prasad, Rebecca Roanhorse, S. Qiouyi Lu, Darcie Little Badger, Kelly Robson, Nino Cipri, Amal El-Mohtar, Sam J. Miller, E. Lily Yu, Alice Sola Kim, Suzanne Palmer, Alexander Weinstein, Rich Larson
Progress: 13%
Progress: 22%
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel (audiobook) - DNF

Sleeping Giants - Sylvain Neuvel

DNF @  5 % (23 out of 509 minutes)

So I'm less than 5% in and already I don't want to listen to this scientist character. Seriously, you skip your own father's funeral and just expect your mother to put you up? That's not grieving differently, that's being a self-centred ass.

Besides, this interview format doesn't hold water. This isn't an interview; it's a weak contrivance to pour out personal information that wouldn't be coming out in an interview. I also have issues with how dull the narrator made the prologue sound.

Someone told me that the audiobook was a good way to make the chosen format more interesting but I don't agree. Already I've tried to listen to it twice and stopped it because I just can't take it any more. The problem with audio is that you can't skip over the boring bits, and yes, I'm barely 20 minutes into it.

Also, what are they carbon dating? They've just talked about metals so far and you need carbon to do any carbon dating. It's literally measuring the concentration of one carbon isotope compared to another one.

I'm probably going to drop this one. I'm not even sure I care enough to flip through a paper copy to try to find any interesting bits. And yes, I'm biased against the format.