tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Prayer of the Night Shepherd
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Dracula
Bram Stoker, Susan Duerden, Tim Curry, Graeme Malcolm, Steven Crossley, John Lee, Alan Cumming, Simon Vance, Katherine Kellgren
Progress: 104/928minutes
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Manifold: Time
Stephen Baxter, Chris Schluep
Progress: 99/480pages

The Radium Girls by Kate Moore

The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women - Kate Moore

This one was kind of hard to rate. I enjoyed reading The Radium Girls, for the most part, and I found it to be informative.  I had a few vague notions about their history, but didn't have much more than that so I did appreciate the detail that went into the background,the subsequent court cases, and the follow-up studies.

I found the amount of personal detail a bit trying and the constant references to different people to be a bit difficult to follow at times. Kate Moore's goal was to tell more of the personal story; it was just a little too personal for me at times. For example, there were so many of the dial girls that I couldn't always remember who was who, exactly, when they hadn't been mentioned for a while and then reappeared in the narrative, and there was one reference to a person that I couldn't for the life of me figure out who he was (and I flipped back to see where he had been mentioned) and only put two and two together when he was brought back later on (Roach).

That said, it's awesome that a book like this is out there, so that the names of the so-called Radium Girls continue to be spoken.