tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti
Genevieve Valentine
Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Audio)
Wanda, Donada Peters McCaddon, Susan Elia MacNeal, Donada Peters
Progress: 33/585minutes
Thief of Time (Discworld, #26)
Terry Pratchett
Progress: 22%
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (audiobook)

Illuminae - Jay Kristoff, Amie Kaufman

Series: The Illuminae Files #1

Apparently I'm the odd one out here since I wasn't enthralled by this book. I'm pretty sure I would have abandoned it if I had read a written copy since I am not a fan of epistolary novels. And this is like the worst kind of epistolary novel. As an audiobook it mostly worked, and I probably would have rated it higher if it weren't for the annoying young adult romance overtones (yes, I know it's YA) and if the last 2-3 hours hadn't really dragged. To be honest, the YA aspect wasn't that bad (for a YA novel) but I still rolled my eyes at some of it. But those last hours with Kady on the Alexander...yawn. Also, the general format of the book kind of gave away some of the ending.

What is about? An attack on an illegal mining colony by a rival corporation leads to several ships fleeing with refugees on board trying to make for a safe harbour. Biological weapons were used in the attack, which complicates matters, of course. Cue zombie psychopaths.

I'm not sure if I'll read the next books. It looks like my library has the audios, so maybe? Based on what I've written above, perhaps I'll steer clear.