tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Thomas McNamee
Progress: 72/235pages
Conservation of Shadows
Yoon Ha Lee
Progress: 22%
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Manifold: Time
Stephen Baxter, Chris Schluep
Progress: 99/480pages
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Reading progress update: I've read 119 out of 194 pages.

Homicide Sanitarium - Fredric Brown

So far so good with the short story collection by Fredric Brown gifted to me by Tigus.

I'll admit I was a little nervous about it because I'm not always a fan of the more hardboiled style of detective story, which is what it sounded like. And I always prefer liking books that are recommended to me although I don't always.

But this is good! I'm not sure how I'd characterize them so far, but "off-beat" (as it's put on the back cover) works. So far I've had a story where the main character is adamant that he's killed his wife and not auditioning for a part in a play, a ghoulish and I'm pretty sure impossible story in a morgue (but it's still good), a story about a detective going undercover in a sanitarium (I guessed the solution to this one but that didn't detract from my enjoyment), and a feel-good story about a guy whose telescope is used as part of a burglary.

There's also just enough humour to keep things interesting and flowing smoothly.