tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Prayer of the Night Shepherd
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Dracula
Bram Stoker, Susan Duerden, Tim Curry, Graeme Malcolm, Steven Crossley, John Lee, Alan Cumming, Simon Vance, Katherine Kellgren
Progress: 104/928minutes
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Manifold: Time
Stephen Baxter, Chris Schluep
Progress: 99/480pages

Swearing is Good for You by Emma Byrne

Swearing Is Good for You: The Amazing Science of Bad Language - Emma Byrne

I'm not sure what I thought I was getting into with this book, but I found it to be rather dry and full of repetitive anecdotes. It also made a reference to evolutionary psychology at the end and made several references to Steven Pinker's work.

I'll admit that the book and I didn't get off to a very good start because I found it questionable the way it included racist-based swearing as a category in the list of basic types of swear words because it implied that the strong emotional responses to those words only validates their use as swear words (that's what I got out of her meandering arguments, anyway). It also highlights how swearing can help build team cohesiveness in the workplace while glossing over just how abusive it can make workplaces for those who don't play along.

I probably wouldn't have bothered finishing it except that I had finished my latest ebook, hadn't chosen another one, and all my other books on the go from the library were quite thick and harder to carry around.