tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Grace Year
Kim Liggett
The New Voices of Science Fiction
Jamie Wahls, Sarah Pinkser, Vina Jie-Min Prasad, Rebecca Roanhorse, S. Qiouyi Lu, Darcie Little Badger, Kelly Robson, Nino Cipri, Amal El-Mohtar, Sam J. Miller, E. Lily Yu, Alice Sola Kim, Suzanne Palmer, Alexander Weinstein, Rich Larson
Progress: 13%
Progress: 22%
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 68/501pages

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

The Doomsday Book - Connie Willis

Series: Oxford Time Travel #1

I'm still debating whether I should give this five stars or stick to 4.5. This was a reread for me and I still found it compelling, although I didn't blaze through it in a couple days like I did the first time around. There are, admittedly, some issues with regards to historical accuracy, like being worried about cholera in the 14th century and assuming that mediaeval people were much shorter than modern day ones...but it still works for me.

I liked the characters, especially the little girl Agnes, and I loved how people would basically have conversations at cross purposes because they were all in their own little bubbles with their own concerns.

Basically, Kivrin is a historian who time travels back to the 14th century to stay for a couple weeks and make a record of the mediaeval life she observes. Of course, her plans go awry and plot happens, and her unofficial tutor, Mr. Dunworthy, tries to get her back.

I really wish more books would combine the mediaeval time period and science fiction.