tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti
Genevieve Valentine
Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Audio)
Wanda, Donada Peters McCaddon, Susan Elia MacNeal, Donada Peters
Progress: 33/585minutes
Thief of Time (Discworld, #26)
Terry Pratchett
Progress: 22%
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville

Murder of a Lady by Anthony Wynne

Murder of a Lady - Anthony Wynne

Series: Dr Hailey #12

A golden-age mystery worthy of being revived. It starts off as a textbook impossible locked-room mystery where a Dr Hailey, an experienced amateur investigator, offers the police his services. Naturally, additional bodies start cropping up that seem almost as mysterious as the first.

The best part of the additional bodies is that they belong to the police investigators rather than members of the household. At one point it got so ridiculous it was awesome. The fourth murder was starting to tax things, but I'm willing to forgive it.

(show spoiler)

I almost didn't join in on this buddy read because I didn't know much about the book. I do like golden-age mysteries in general but I didn't know enough about it to be sucked in. Fortunately I decided to check if my library had a copy and it did so I decided to check it out. I'm glad I did because it was a lot of fun. Not just a whodunnit but a howdunnit. I didn't guess the culprit but the murder weapon had occurred to me, so at least I was right about something.

Previous updates: