tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Mirror Empire: Worldbreaker Saga 1
Kameron Hurley
Leviathan Wakes
James S.A. Corey, Jefferson Mays
Life: An Unauthorised Biography: A Natural History of the First Four Thousand Million Years of Life on Earth
Richard Fortey
Progress: 274/371pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 18%
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch (audiobook)

Broken Homes: A Rivers of London Novel - Ben Aaronovitch, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith

Series: Rivers of London/Peter Grant #4

A reread, of course, but one spent trying to figure out if clues to the twist at the end could be picked out. Some things can be read differently if you take into account the ending but I couldn't find anything blatant. No wonder the ending was so much of a shock the first time around.

A murder leads, through a circuitous route (naturally), to an investigation in a tower block where Leslie and Peter take a flat where they take Toby out for walkies as a cover for investigating. Spoilers, spoilers, more Faceless Man stuff and a fun read, especially with Kobna Holdbrook-Smith as the narrator.

Because my copy of The Furthest Station still hasn't arrived, I'm counting this for the "Darkest London" square for the Halloween Bingo. In could also be used for the squares "Murder Most Foul", "Witches" (Varvara is called a night witch), and "Supernatural". I'm not sure whether the trees in the tower garden would count towards "In the dark, dark woods" but they do play a significant role in the story.