tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Grace Year
Kim Liggett
The New Voices of Science Fiction
Jamie Wahls, Sarah Pinkser, Vina Jie-Min Prasad, Rebecca Roanhorse, S. Qiouyi Lu, Darcie Little Badger, Kelly Robson, Nino Cipri, Amal El-Mohtar, Sam J. Miller, E. Lily Yu, Alice Sola Kim, Suzanne Palmer, Alexander Weinstein, Rich Larson
Progress: 13%
Progress: 22%
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Manifold: Time
Stephen Baxter, Chris Schluep
Progress: 99/480pages
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey (reread)

Kushiel's Dart - Jacqueline Carey

This was a reread for me and I still enjoyed it quite a bit. In fact, I decided to increase my rating because the characters have stayed with me even if I didn't remember all of the details. The writing starts off in a deliberately formal tone that I can see not working for some people, but for me it just sounds like Phèdre's voice. It drops away once we get into some action, but the story starts with Phèdre recounting the circumstances of her birth and childhood. There's also a fair amount of sexuality explicit content and BDSM, which may be another stumbling block for some.

If you want more of a background summary, go check out my original review. Most of my comments stand, although now I just hate Melisande. I think my favourite character is probably Joscelin who I find both adorable and amusing (in the sense that I laugh when he acts ridiculous).