tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Infidel
Kameron Hurley
Any Other Name
Emma Newman
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Manifold: Time
Stephen Baxter, Chris Schluep
Progress: 99/480pages
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (Audiobook)

Maisie Dobbs - Jacqueline Winspear, Rita Barrington

Series: Maisie Dobbs #1

Narrator: Rita Barrington

Perhaps I should have been clued in by the title. It’s just “Maisie Dobbs” not “Maisie Dobbs and something or other” or “Cute Pun Related to the Book or the Main Character”. There is a mystery here, but it’s not much of one. It just sort of resolves itself over the course of a few pages. Maisie Dobbs is a private investigator scarred by her past in the war and partway through the book turns into a YA story about her early life in service, then a brief time at university, and finally a wartime romance before finally getting back to the present and the mystery Maisie is supposed to be investigating.

I liked the narration but the mystery wasn’t terribly interesting or complicated since most of the book was about Maisie’s past. Oh, and I found the whole thing where Maisie would copy people’s stances to be way overdone. I don’t regret finishing the book but I’m not sure I want to seek out any more. Supposedly the other books don’t involve extensive flashbacks like this one, but I’m not sure I like Maisie enough to actually seek her out again.

Previous updates: