tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners
Therese Oneill
Murder on the Orient Express: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Audio)
Agatha Christie, Dan Stevens
Progress: 83/397minutes
The Last Alchemist in Paris: & Other Curious Tales from Chemistry
Lars Ohrstrom
Progress: 90/226pages
Monstrous Little Voices: New Tales From Shakespeare's Fantasy World
Adrian Tchaikovsky, Kate Heartfield, Foz Meadows, Emma Newman, Jonathan Barnes
Within the Hollow Crown: A Valiant King's Struggle to Save His Country, His Dynasty, and His Love
Margaret Campbell Barnes
Progress: 12/333pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Fortune Like the Moon by Alys Clare

Fortune like the Moon - Alys Clare

Richard I is worried about the fallout from his mother’s decision to release all the prisoners to commemorate the start of his reign when a nun is found brutally murdered, so he sends Josse d’Acquin to investigate at Hawkenlye.

I quite liked this mystery, there were several clever reversals, and it was the Abbess Helewise who solved the murder! Don’t worry, that’s only a very mild spoiler. I won’t tell you who actually did it. I wasn’t sure about some of the historical details that the story relied on and I could have done without the very last chapter (it provided a resolution that I could have done without), so I’m going with 3.5 stars despite dithering about 4. I do plan on looking into the next one in the series, however.

I read this for booklikes-opoly square Frontierland 1 “Read a book with a title that starts with any letter in FRONTIER”.  At 256 pages, this nets me another $3 for my bank, bringing my balance to $98!