tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

A Place of Execution
Val McDermid
Progress: 182/404pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 68/501pages

Death in the Clouds by Agatha Christie

Death in the Clouds - Agatha Christie

Series: Poirot # 12

This was a weird little mystery, partly because it's 1935 and Hercule Poirot is flying on an commercial airliner or aeroplane. It was also interesting to read about a commercial flight from back then and how the plane was arranged. I was initially a little confused because the diagram at the beginning referred to a "rear car" and I had a weird picture in my head of interlocking pieces of an airplane like a train and wasn't entirely sure I was correct about them being in a plane for a few pages. But they were.

A murder occurs during the flight when a woman is mysteriously killed by a poison dart that no one witnesses. Poirot is on the flight but too incommoded by air sickness to be paying much attention to anything, so he feels that he has to investigate afterwards to clear his name (some people on the inquiry jury apparently suspected him just because he was a foreigner).

I didn't see the end coming and I quite enjoyed the book, but the whole thing was just a little outrageous.

I read this for booklikes-opoly square #29 - The Monorail since it "involves travel by air". At 253 pages, this gives me $3 for my bank, so my balance is now $95.

Previous update: