tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners
Therese Oneill
Murder on the Orient Express: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Audio)
Agatha Christie, Dan Stevens
Progress: 83/397minutes
The Last Alchemist in Paris: & Other Curious Tales from Chemistry
Lars Ohrstrom
Progress: 90/226pages
Monstrous Little Voices: New Tales From Shakespeare's Fantasy World
Adrian Tchaikovsky, Kate Heartfield, Foz Meadows, Emma Newman, Jonathan Barnes
Within the Hollow Crown: A Valiant King's Struggle to Save His Country, His Dynasty, and His Love
Margaret Campbell Barnes
Progress: 12/333pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 68/501pages

Servant of the Underworld by Aliette de Bodard

Servant of the Underworld - Aliette de Bodard

Series: Obsidian and Blood #1

Servant of the Underworld is a fantasy mystery novel set in the Aztec Empire in the 15th century. Overall I liked it, but it was more of an intellectual liking than an emotional one. The concept of reading a Mesoamerican fantasy novel was interesting, but writing in a first-person POV distanced me from the narrative rather than engrossed me in it. It’s like I kept forgetting who was doing the talking, even though after a while I got used to the fact that it was Acatl. I’m not saying he had no personality, but I didn’t feel much of it when I was looking through his eyes. First-person POVs are tricky, and I don’t think this one entirely worked for me. Plus there was lots of sacrificial blood magic although it wasn’t too graphic.

Even though we’re introduced to the mystery (and the crime scene) almost immediately, it still felt like the book took a while to get going and draw me into the story. Things did finally start to pick up about a quarter of the way through. Anyway, if you want to try a mystery story in a different fantasy setting, you might want to check this one out. I plan on checking out the sequels (it’s part of a trilogy).