tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Mermaids Singing
Progress: 4%
Tricked
Kevin Hearne
Progress: 65%
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben

The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate—Discoveries From a Secret World - Peter Wohlleben

This book is all about trees and the forests they create and live in. It can be quite interesting, but it’s also very much a popular-science work. Wohlleben is a forester and so he makes the topic accessible and engaging but some of his speculation and explanations were limited. For example, I can think of several reasons why a tree budding earlier rather than later might be advantageous after an especially cold, harsh winter, but he just dismisses it as counter-intuitive.

I’d say it’s a pretty good introduction to the topic and some of the current research being done in the field but if you find yourself really interested you’d have to seek out some more in-depth works.

I do feel like this is a book that science fiction writers should check out, if they're not already familiar with the topic, because there are some excellent ideas that could be incorporated into futuristic science fiction worlds just by adding some real-life science.

Oh, and some of his points about temperatures were lost on me because he relentlessly uses Fahrenheit for some reason. Or my edition of the book did anyway.