tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Lion in the Living Room: How House Cats Tamed Us and Took Over the World
Abigail Tucker
Progress: 81/187pages
The Mirror Empire
Kameron Hurley
Leviathan Wakes
James S.A. Corey, Jefferson Mays
Progress: 30%
Life: An Unauthorised Biography: A Natural History of the First Four Thousand Million Years of Life on Earth
Richard Fortey
Progress: 333/371pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 68/501pages

The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin

The Obelisk Gate - N.K. Jemisin

Series: The Broken Earth #2

This is another solid installment in the series. Here we learn more about orogeny and the obelisks (duh). The book tells the tale about the survival of Castrima early in the Season and allows us to follow Nassun’s story (Essun’s daughter). I still think this world is really cool (I’ll admit I wasn’t entirely pleased with the name for the silver threads though), and I’ll definitely be reading the next one. I do feel like this is one series that may actually improve on a reread because we’re spoon-fed information a bit at a time and so not everything significant is well understood. I think this probably goes for the second-person chapters as well.

I really liked it, but I wasn’t completely enthralled with it. I wasn’t entirely pleased with the choppy parts. There were some really good quotable moments and things that just made me smile, though, so I hope my estimation either stays the same or improves when the series is done and I’m able to reread the whole. I think part of what I like about it is that the events are so brutal. Jemisin doesn’t go into incredibly gory descriptions or anything like that but the things the characters have to deal with are pretty awesomely horrific. And I like Nassun’s resentment. It feels natural.

Assuming they stick to the publication schedule, it looks like I’ll have to wait until August to read the next one. At least I have lots of other books to read, right?