tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Infidel
Kameron Hurley
Any Other Name
Emma Newman
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel - Neil Gaiman

I listened to the audiobook back in January, and I think I’ll let my rating stand. Then as now, what really drove up the rating at the end was Ocean, the black cat from the field. I had to kind of psych myself up to dive in, though, because I do find the opal miner’s arrival difficult to read. In some ways, I did get more out of it this time around because I was reading a written copy, although that may also just be the usual things you pick out on a second read. I’ve never understood people who refuse to reread books since as far as I’m concerned, you never read the same book twice (since you’ll never have the same experience). And good ones are like old friends.

Anyway, I like the way Gaiman portrays children much more than the typical YA approach, although this isn’t really a YA book. It’s about an adult piecing together his memories of childhood into a narrative, so who knows what that says about the reliability. I’m counting this for the “Magical Realism” square for the Halloween Bingo.