tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Infidel
Kameron Hurley
Any Other Name
Emma Newman
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Mayhem by Sarah Pinborough

Mayhem - Sarah Pinborough

This book tells the fictional story of some of the lesser-known but equally brutal murders in London in the late 1880s. It was interesting, and it had an interesting take on the supernatural cause of the murders (at least in this fictional account, naturally). I was worried that the author wouldn’t be able to wrap things up when there were only fifteen pages left but somehow she managed.

I did feel that although the book tried to do a good job with the period detail and largely succeeded in its setting, there were a few details that betrayed its modern origins in the physical settings as in the language and psychology. And at the end Dr Bond is in possession of some information that he couldn’t possibly know. At barely 300 pages, it was also pretty short. Yay for tight narratives!

I wasn’t entirely sure breaking up the timeline the way it did actually helped the tension in the novel. There were a lot of viewpoints jumping around despite using the first person for Dr Bond’s chapters. It just felt a bit lazy as a narrative convention.

So, all in all, it’s a decent book and I didn’t mind reading it, but I’m not about to go out and rave about it. I did like Dr Bond.

I’m counting this book for the “Supernatural” square for the Halloween Bingo because of the upir.

My copy appears to have had an alternate cover (I think it's creepier):