tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Why Shoot a Butler?
Georgette Heyer
Whispers Under Ground
Ben Aaronovitch, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith
Progress: 422/615minutes
Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Progress: 18%
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 18%
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Audiobook)

The Hound of the Baskervilles -  Arthur Conan Doyle

Read by Simon Vance

(Part of The Complete Sherlock Holmes: The Heirloom Collection)

Although I sort of knew the story (from adaptations with varying degrees of fidelity), I hadn’t actually read The Hound of the Baskervilles before this. Because I was reading several other things at the same time, I decide to listen to an audio version because I had acquired The Complete Sherlock Holmes in audio and hadn’t listened to any of it yet. I think this may have been a mistake because my mind kept wandering while listening and it just didn’t seem as fun as it did on the page when I referred back to my epub copy. Oh well. It’ll be up for a reread at some point.

I’m not sure whether it was just my imagination because I knew that at this stage of his career, Doyle was sick of Holmes and resisting bringing him back, but I felt that this bled through into the story and that Doyle was mocking Holmes. I was tempted to call Holmes a condescending lout at one point. Sometimes I think I prefer the various adaptations of Holmes to the original (blasphemy, I know). The mystery seemed forced (with the letter and all that).

And I felt bad for the spaniel. That was unnecessary, in my mind.

I'm counting this as the "Reads with (booklikes) friends" square for the Halloween bingo.