tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Weaver's Lament: Industrial Magic Book 2 (Kindle Single)
Emma Newman
The Mirror Empire: Worldbreaker Saga 1
Kameron Hurley
Leviathan Wakes
James S.A. Corey, Jefferson Mays
Life: An Unauthorised Biography: A Natural History of the First Four Thousand Million Years of Life on Earth
Richard Fortey
Progress: 274/371pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

The Yiddish Policemen's Union - Michael Chabon

I’ll admit that I more or less gave up on reading this book on page twenty-six, when I was completely overwhelmed by the prospect of sitting through hours and hours and almost four hundred more pages of what I had read so far. So I started skimming, reading a sentence or two in this paragraph, then skipping on to the next and so on because there were just that many information dumps. There was also far too much chess. I read most of the dialogue, and I think I got the gist of the rest of it. It wasn’t so much skimming as absorbing by sight without really reading. It’s probably a bad sign that I was able to do that.

Anyway, the funny thing is that I had been really looking forward to reading this book because it had be on my to-read list for quite a while, and I was curious about checking out the author. I was not impressed. The present tense bothered me from the very first page, and there was this weird occasional usage of the second person in the narrative instead of the passive voice. Mostly I was bored. The only thing I liked was the typeface.

Edited to add title to post. And to substitute typeface for typesetting. I must be tired.