tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Why Shoot a Butler?
Georgette Heyer
Whispers Under Ground
Ben Aaronovitch, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith
Progress: 422/615minutes
Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Progress: 18%
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 68/501pages

A Grave Matter by Anna Lee Huber

A Grave Matter - Anna Lee Huber

Series: Lady Darby #3

Mild spoilers ahead (no more than what is given out in the book description except for what is hidden by spoiler tags).

I think I’m far too emotionally invested in these characters.

A Grave Matter features actual grave robbers (yes, they’re not just talked about in this one) who then turn around and ransom the loved one’s bones back to his family. The mystery was interesting but the motivation turned out to be a bit weak.

Especially the thing with the missing finger bones. That felt really pointless.

(show spoiler)

There is a lot of Gage and Kiera scenes, though, so that helped flesh it out. We also get to meet Kiera’s brother, but it felt like there was a lot of travelling around for the investigation. Kiera wasn’t that stupid in this one (other than one scene where she was upset), so Gage had to take on the TSTL mantle.

I liked the Gage and Kiera stuff, but as I said before, the mystery is a bit weak. All the foreboding stuff got a bit tiresome (and Kiera never struck me as being all that superstitious), but I will be reading the next one, of course.

I, for one, am glad that Kiera confronted Gage about her worries about him turning out like Sir Anthony. It wasn’t rational, but I wouldn’t have bought her getting over it otherwise.

(show spoiler)

I also liked Earl Grey, the cat.