tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Mermaids Singing
Progress: 4%
Tricked
Kevin Hearne
Progress: 65%
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor

Binti - Nnedi Okorafor

Binti starts off as a fairly interesting look at a girl leaving home for the first time with the possibility of becoming an outcast since her family was against her going. Admittedly, there was some strangeness with “mathematical currents” that I wasn’t quite sure what to make of. I took it to be something fantastical since otherwise it didn’t really make sense. At one point, “yellow currents” are referred to.

Unfortunately, it veered off into Plot Hole Land towards the end.

Binti’s hair turns into tentacles after she’s stung but when she re-applies her otjize, she’s clearly applying it to hair because she comments on the colour. Somehow between that moment and leaving the ship, her hair morphs from twenty-one plaits to ten tentacles and she doesn’t notice. Furthermore, the tentacles are given as the reason she can understand the Meduse but she clearly doesn’t have them earlier when she can understand them before leaving the ship.

(show spoiler)

It’s also heavily YA in its resolution.

On the plus side, although I didn’t dislike it before I became more of a fan of the cover art when I saw a larger version of the cover and discovered it was actually in a painted style rather than a photographic one.