tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Mirror Empire: Worldbreaker Saga 1
Kameron Hurley
Leviathan Wakes
James S.A. Corey, Jefferson Mays
Life: An Unauthorised Biography: A Natural History of the First Four Thousand Million Years of Life on Earth
Richard Fortey
Progress: 274/371pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 68/501pages

The Anatomist’s Wife by Anna Lee Huber

The Anatomist's Wife - Anna Lee Huber

Lady Darby #1

The Anatomist’s Wife is a murder mystery that takes places around 1830. Lady Darby is a young widow with a scandalous past: she used to draw anatomical drawings for her husband and when it got out after his death she felt the full backlash from society (it wasn’t considered something proper for well-bred ladies to do, naturally). Although the attitudes felt genuine, some of the details still seemed a bit much. Anyway, disaster strikes when a lady is brutally murdered at Lady Darby’s sister’s houseparty, and popular opinion among the guests blames Lady Darby.

The murder was interesting and I liked Lady Darby, but some parts concerning the romantic interest fell a little flat for me. I guess I’ll have to see how things turn out in the following books.

I liked Gage, I liked the whole rakehell vs. rogue aspect, and I understand why he’d be attracted to Lady Darby, but I’m just not entirely sure why he seems to care about her. By his reputation, it’s not his style to fall for the girl. Of course, we never see things from his perspective, and we don’t really know his past.

The big ending reveal and confrontation also seemed like a bit of a setup and thus over the top. Hopefully it’s well utilized later on and the series doesn’t continue too much in this style (one that requires Lady Darby to act somewhat foolishly). And Lord Stratford had better not be back later on, or I’ll be most upset (if he does come back, please don’t tell me).

I also thought that some of the guests at the end (the Westlocks) showed incredible ill-breeding. I get the impression that although Lady Darby isn’t that important, her sister and her husband are. Perhaps I’m mistaken on this.

(show spoiler)

Overall, a solid start to a mystery series.