tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Lion in the Living Room: How House Cats Tamed Us and Took Over the World
Abigail Tucker
Progress: 81/187pages
The Mirror Empire
Kameron Hurley
Leviathan Wakes
James S.A. Corey, Jefferson Mays
Progress: 30%
Life: An Unauthorised Biography: A Natural History of the First Four Thousand Million Years of Life on Earth
Richard Fortey
Progress: 333/371pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure - William Goldman

My rating is for the main body of the story. It excludes the original introduction, the explanation for Buttercup’s Baby, and Buttercup’s Baby’s chapter. I didn’t like those. In fact, I’d probably call the whole Buttercup’s Baby sequence drivel. But anyway, I think I will enjoy rereading the main story in the future, and I plan to stick to that rather than any of the extras.

I did rather like the main story.  It was silly and didn’t take itself seriously and was overall just a fun read. It does not pass the Ian Short Chapter Test (ISCT), however, so don’t try to play the “I’m just going to read one more chapter” game (unless you’re at chapter three or four).  The movie seems to have captured the book fairly well; it’s just a more streamlined version. I suppose the book does offer all of the Morgenstern asides, which can be amusing (all the comments about the book taking place after various things, such as stew, Paris, taxes, and blue jeans – but it claims blue jeans came earlier than previously though).

And just in case it needs to be said: There is no real, unabridged The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern. Goldman uses it as a literary device, so don’t go looking for it. :)

I'm thinking about using this one for the "Adapted for the big screen" square for the Summer Book Bingo. It could also count as "A book that's been on your shelves for more than a year", though, since I've had it for a couple years now. More like two and a half.