tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

The Lion in the Living Room: How House Cats Tamed Us and Took Over the World
Abigail Tucker
Progress: 81/187pages
The Mirror Empire
Kameron Hurley
Leviathan Wakes
James S.A. Corey, Jefferson Mays
Progress: 30%
Life: An Unauthorised Biography: A Natural History of the First Four Thousand Million Years of Life on Earth
Richard Fortey
Progress: 333/371pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 68/501pages

Written in Red by Anne Bishop

Written in Red - Anne Bishop

The Others #1

Downgrading the three stars to two because a negative perception of the book is what has stayed with me despite the initial more positive feelings.  I liked the world in this book.  As I mentioned in some of my updates, this is a modern-day fantasy world and not an urban fantasy as I was expecting.  That was fine though, and overall I liked the book.  I’m not rating it higher because I found the prose to be weak. I’m not talking about the sand-coloured thing I mentioned in one of my updates. I just found the writing to be a bit clunky and not terribly immersive.  Giving one of the cities the name of “Big City” and referring to another as “Sparkletown” didn’t help matters, but my issue with the writing was more extensive than that although difficult to articulate.  I haven’t read anything by Anne Bishop before so I’m not sure if this is typical or not.

Another problem that I had was that everyone seemed just a little too cute with Meg.  This isn’t really a fluffy book, so it was weird.  Plus every time one of the Wolves said “Arrooo” I had Scooby Doo in my head.  I couldn’t help it.  The Crows were fun and I enjoyed the silly exchanges where they would steal pens and not understand giving away the shiny in change.  Too many of the villains seemed too stupid to live (and didn’t).

Even so, I do plan on checking out the next book in the series shortly, and I’m hoping that the writing will have smoothed out so that I can have a more immersive book experience.

This is book number 4 of my 20 Books of Summer and will count as “First book in a new series” for the Summer Book Bingo.

(Edited 2017-01-31 to change rating.)