tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady's Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners
Therese Oneill
Murder on the Orient Express: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Audio)
Agatha Christie, Dan Stevens
Progress: 83/397minutes
The Last Alchemist in Paris: & Other Curious Tales from Chemistry
Lars Ohrstrom
Progress: 90/226pages
Monstrous Little Voices: New Tales From Shakespeare's Fantasy World
Adrian Tchaikovsky, Kate Heartfield, Foz Meadows, Emma Newman, Jonathan Barnes
Within the Hollow Crown: A Valiant King's Struggle to Save His Country, His Dynasty, and His Love
Margaret Campbell Barnes
Progress: 12/333pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Progress: 68/501pages

The Founding by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

The Founding  - Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

The Morland Dynasty Series #1

This series has an interesting concept: follow one family through the generations.  The series has over thirty books. Unfortunately, there was a family tree at the start of this book, and you have to get a good 200 pages into the book before it starts being about anything other than the family tree.  Even then it’s basically family tree plus some history thrown it.  The family tree also let you cheat on what was going to happen; I think it should have been placed at the back of the book instead of the front.

Having been originally published in 1980, The Founding seems to show its age with some anachronisms and a very rosy view of factories and such modernization and how it just doesn't distinguish itself.  I generally find it annoying when historical fiction or fantasy in historical-fiction-like settings show their protagonists as being super progressive.  I could be wrong, but I thought the “factory” was going a little too far.  The windows in the house were probably also a bit early.

This book takes an extremely fluffy view of Richard III.  It was more a view of him through his loyalists’ eyes (which the Morlands were) and how they might have interpreted his actions and the events surrounding them.

All in all it was an ok read.  I found it interesting at first, but then it just seemed to drag on as the book focused more and more on historical events and the links with the characters grew shallower.