tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Engineering Animals: How Life Works
Progress: 22%
Le premier jour
Marc Levy
Progress: 180/496pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Yes, I have only myself to blame for finishing this, but I was curious about what those unread pages could be filled with.  I’d wanted to read this book for a long time, and was only using the bookclub read as an excuse to finally get around to it.  I didn’t end up liking it very much, but I didn’t hate it.  It just wasn’t a good fit for me, although I guess I was interested enough to finish it.

The story continually jumps between the first-person perspectives of Clare and Henry as their timelines intersect out-of-order.  It’s written in the present tense, with a rushed-sounding introductory paragraph or paragraphs to give context to the following scenes.  All of this is annoying.  There’s also a tendency to make really long sentences full of fairly short independent propositions strung together with ands.  Perfect for skimming, I guess, but not terribly interesting.  Especially when things got all baby crazy.

I’m not even sure there’s much of a plot.  It’s just the details of their non-sequential lives told at a level of maddening minutiae. I mean, the individual scenes have too much minutiae.  And there are far too many dreams mixed in.