tannat

Tannat

Not so much a blog; just lots of books

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Progress: 2%
Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality
Cacilda Jethá, Christopher Ryan, Allyson Johnson, Jonathan Davis
Within the Hollow Crown: A Valiant King's Struggle to Save His Country, His Dynasty, and His Love
Margaret Campbell Barnes
Progress: 57/333pages
Moby-Dick: or, The Whale (Penguin Classics)
Herman Melville
The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett
Progress: 68/501pages

Ancillary Justice

Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie This one is hard to rate. Some parts of it I quite liked; others, not so much.

For example, I liked the use of the feminine pronoun throughout, but I did not like all its effects. I also felt that the linguistic gender choices were sometimes over-explained. Why not trust the reader to figure a few things out on her own? I wasn't completely sure why its was used instead of my in a couple of cases when referring to an ancillary. It was jarring and a bit confusing to figure out who or what was being referred to.

I did finally figure out the ancillary/human military dynamics by the end (I think), but that's something that could have been explained better. For the longest time, I just didn't understand why you'd leave human soldiers on ice.

The concept was interesting, but I felt the story was a bit confused. Or maybe I was confused. Can it be both? It took some getting used to, but I did like the One Esk multiple viewpoint narrative portions.

Finally, for all those words, there wasn't much of a resolution.

Overall, I think it's a book that I'd suggest reading, but it won't be a book I read over and over again. I'll probably continue with the series, eventually.